Are you part of the 50% of American’s who set goals for the New Year? While many set individual goals, the New Year is a great time to set family goals. Not only can setting family goals help increase bonds, you can also help keep each other accountable. Check out these 6 goals to tackle as a family in 2020!
- Get Outside More Often. Whether you live in a cold or warm climate, it’s important to make time to get outdoors each day. Stanford Health shares that outdoor light stimulates that part of the brain that is vital for keeping immune systems strong, get better sleep, and making us feel happier! A little fresh air goes a long way, so make a commitment this year to get outside more often.
- Purge, Declutter, and Donate “Stuff.” Is it time for a playroom purge? Encourage your child to go through their toys and donate a few items that may be collecting dust to a child who will get more use out of them. Donate to a local children’s or family shelter, foster family organization, or children’s hospital, just to name a few.
- Practice Gratitude. According to research by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, people who practice a grateful attitude are more joyful, enthusiastic, interested, and determined. Practice and instill gratitude by choosing quality time over material things, giving back to those in need, and keeping your kids’ manners in check!
- Pause the Electronics. It’s impossible for parents and children to not be exposed to screens but it’s important to put electronics down at the end of the day and be more present with one another. Put electronics on Do Not Disturb or place all electronics in a basket that’s out of sight. Working together to engage in less screen time will help keep the whole family accountable and present to enjoy one another.
- Read Together Every Day. Reading to children early and often presents so many benefits including positive emotional and social behaviors, increased literacy and phonetic awareness, and even can help strengthen parent and child bonds.
- Make More Time to Connect. There’s nothing more precious than spending quality time with your loved ones. However, with homework and extracurricular activities, scheduling family time is not always the easiest feat. Make a New Year’s goal to have a Family Fun Night one time a month. For Family Fun Night ideas, click here.