Spring may be just around the corner (according to Punxsutawney Phil), however, most of the country is still experiencing cold, dreary, unpleasant winter weather. While the winter months make it nearly impossible to get outside to get moving for very long, there are many indoor alternatives that can fit the bill. After all, the need for regular physical activity isn’t seasonal. It’s important to make physical activity a priority all year long! Check out these 5 indoor activities for kids to help keep your family moving all winter long.
- Broomball: Use the hallway as your arena and use masking tape to set up a “net” on each end. Divide your crew into 2 teams, or play 1 on 1. Make sure each player has a broom, mop, or Swiffer Sweeper (whatever works), and a tennis ball. The first team to get 10 goals is the winner!
- Animal Yoga: Get moving and stretch your body into funky positions! Poses can include monkey, jaguar, turtle, and sloth! Click here for a fun Animal Yoga tutorial your kids are sure to love.
- Balloon Volleyball: Blow up a balloon and use the sofa, chair, or kitchen island as the centerline and have your child(ren) run back and forth to hit the balloon before it lands on the ground. See if your child can keep it up in the air for 21 hits!
- Freeze Dance: Get off the couch and turn on your child’s favorite tunes for a rambunctious game of Freeze Dance! The rules are pretty straight forward: dance when the music plays, and when the DJ stops the music, it’s time to freeze! Whoever moves while the music is off is out. The last dancer grooving is the winner.
- Hallway Races: Wheelbarrow, Crab, or Bear-Walk hallway races are sure to ensue Serious Fun.Not only will your child get a good workout in, they’ll also be giggling the whole time!
Another great winter get-moving activity is The Little Gym! If you’re lookin g for a new way for your child to get moving during the winter months visit us to find a location near you and learn more about our classes and programs!