There are so many reasons to love the fall season; colorful leaves, cooler weather, Halloween, and not to mention pumpkin-spiced everything. Make the most out of the perfect fall weather and get moving as a family outdoors this autumn. Not sure where to start? Check out these fall activities the whole family will enjoy.
- Hit the pumpkin patch or apple orchard. Apple and pumpkin picking are probably the two most fall-inspired activities families can participate in, and it’s also a great way to get in a full-day of physical activity for kids. Whether you’re reaching for ruby-red apples, or picking up the biggest pumpkin your child can find, you’re getting some serious exercise. BONUS: be sure to make some healthy treats to refuel with your loot!
- Head into the great outdoors. Plan a family walk or hike to see the changing colors of the trees and enjoy the crisp autumn air. This is a great way to enjoy all that fall has to offer all while getting moving with the whole family. You can also make a fun fall scavenger hunt and look for beautiful leaves, pinecones, and take pictures of the gorgeous scenery.
- Are you ready for some football? If your family are fans of football, fall is the perfect time to head out into the backyard for a fun game of touch football. Coordinate with the whole family and add in some friends or neighbors for an afternoon of football fun.
- Rake, and jump, into a bed of leaves. When all of those pesky leaves fall off the trees, what better activity to do than to rake them all up, and jump in the pile. Not only will your arms thank you later, the kids will have fun and get some serious exercise by jumping into the pile of leaves time and time again. This is a great opportunity to grab your camera and take some photos for your family holiday card!
- Participate in a fall 5K or fun-run. Many communities host 5K’s and fun runs in the fall because it’s the perfect time of year to get moving outdoors (hello perfect outdoor physical activity weather)! Do a quick internet search and find the perfect 5K and/or fun run for your family to participate in.
When the weather starts to get chillier and the time for fun fall outdoor activities has come and gone, check out kid-focused activities like The Little Gym.