Heading back to school can be a stressful time for kids, and parents alike. This means early wake-up times, packing lunches, after-school activities, and homework. The school year adds a lot of new stress to everyday life. Here are 5 tips for keeping calm, and carrying on through the start of a new school year.
- Opt for earlier bedtimes. Can you hear your kids groaning already? A good night’s sleep not only helps your kids feel refreshed but will also help them feel more alert. This can help your child be more successful in the classroom too!
- Make a plan. Before the start of a new week, plan your family dinners or plan your child’s schedule. Create a system that works for your family and keeps the whole crew accountable and on track.
- Create a consistent routine. Routines can help kids feel more secure, allowing them to have expectations about what’s to come. This can include a morning routine, bedtime routine, or after-school routine, like The Little Gym!
- Stay on top of homework. Depending on your child’s age, they may be coming home each day with an hour, or two, of homework, which can create unnecessary stress. Keep anxiety at bay by having a routine for tackling homework each night.
- Know how to address your child’s concerns. The first few days, and weeks, of a new school year can be exhausting and stressful. Make it a point to talk to your child about their day at school and ensure they feel comfortable addressing their concerns with you.