Is your playroom, living room, or kids room overflowing with toys that your child rarely plays with? Most parents can attest to the vast amount of toy-clutter that takes up one-too-many spaces in their homes. And most kids (or mini-hoarders) have trouble letting go of their precious toys. However, a study published in the journal, Infant Behavior and Development, found that an environment with fewer toys is actually better for kids. The need for the latest toy craze not only stresses parents out but it has little developmental benefit for your child. So, the next time you have to give a gift, gift your child one of these non toy gift ideas.
- Create new memories with a fun family experience. Tickets to a play, concert, ice-show, exhibition, or sports event, makes a fun gift for the whole family. The memories your family will create with an experience is far beyond what a toy can provide.
- Purchase a membership. Gift an annual membership to a museum, zoo, or fun play place. This will allow children to visit the venue of choice multiple times throughout the year and oftentimes get special member discounts on special events. Your child may even make new friends!
- Stock up on arts and crafts supplies. Arts and crafts for kids can provide endless hours of creativity and fun. Purchase items like colored paper, pom poms, pipe cleaners, beads, paints, markers, crayons, and stickers, just to name a few. Add in how-to-books filled with ideas for creations! Pick yourself up an adult coloring book too and make it a family thing!
- Give your child something to look forward to each month with a monthly subscription box. There are so many monthly subscription boxes for kids including monthly book boxes, educational and project-based boxes, and even cooking and science kits for kids.
- Kid-focused classes and activities like The Little Gym provide age-appropriate programs for kids of all ages that facilitate ongoing development and fun!
Whether you’re scouting a gift for your child’s holiday wish list or a birthday party, think outside the box and give them a gift that leads to fun experiences, learning, development, and valuable family time! To learn more about The Little Gym or to find a class near you, visit us here.