The holidays are a great time to talk to your child about the importance of helping those in need. Giving thanks and helping others can give adults and children perspective during the busy season. One way to pay it forward is to talk to your children about charitable giving. In fact, studies show that children whose parents talk to them about charity are 20% more likely to give back. Now, that’s a statistic we can get behind! Check out these 5 ways to encourage your child to give back during the holiday season and beyond:
- Encourage your child to go through their toys and gather all of the items they haven’t had time for or enjoyed as much. Explain to your child that you their donation will bring a smile and joy to someone less fortunate. Another option is to head to your local toy store and pick out a few new toys for a local charity or organization like, Toys for Tots.
- If your child has a winter birthday, talk to them about giving some, or all, of their gifts to the local children’s hospital, animal shelter, or another local charity of their choice. Bring your child to the local organization and allow them to drop off their donations in person. Take it one step further and ask them to help write a fun note to the new owner.
- Get moving for a cause! Many communities host charity bike rides, walks, or runs throughout the year for a myriad of causes. This is a great way to bond as a family, gain some endorphins, and give back to those in need! Click here to find active charity events in your area.
- Host a bake sale and donate the proceeds to a local charity of your child’s choice. Not only will they feel good about their home-baked-goodness, they’ll also feel good about donating their profits to an organization that helps those in need.
- Make it a family affair and give back together! Look for family friendly opportunities like volunteering at a community event, playing with foster animals, or cleaning up a local park. Not only will this help teach your children about giving back to your local community, but it will also give you some quality family-bonding time!
Teaching children about charitable giving early on is a great way to help them better understand and grow into kind and generous people. To find a The Little Gym location near you visit us here.