Giving Tuesday is a global movement that has been built by individuals, families, organizations, small businesses, and communities in all 50 states and countries around the world! Each year, millions of people come together to support various causes they believe in and the communities in which they live.
Giving Tuesday is truly a celebration of our greatest traditions: generosity, entrepreneurialism, and community. No matter how big or small, everyone has something to give; whether expertise, monetary donations, acts of kindness, time, food, or clothing. Check out these 5 ways your family can give back for Giving Tuesday.
- Host a canned food drive: the holidays are a great time to host a local food drive to help those in need. Ask friends and family members to bring over a non-perishable food item and donate them to a local charity or food pantry.
- Raid the closets and toy room: that toy your child hasn’t played with all year? Or that suit that hasn’t fit you in over a decade? It’s time for them to move on to a better home! Contact a local women’s shelter or children’s charity that takes donations. Sharing with your children that their donation will bring joy to someone less fortunate can help them part with those unplayed-with toys.
- Adopt a family in need for the holidays. Adopting a child or family in need at holiday time can inspire a sense of giving in your children. Contact your local Catholic Charities, Lutheran Social Services or Salvation Army or visit volunteermatch.org to be matched with your recipient(s), ideally similar in age to your own children.
- Run, walk, or bike ride for a cause: Many communities host charity rides, walks and runs throughout the year for a myriad of causes. This is a great way to get out into the local community and give back as a family! Bonus: collect donations from friends & family to give even more!
- Clean up your community: if your family loves being outdoors, join a local conservation group or nature organization to pick up trash, or plant trees at local parks, beaches, or lakes. If you don’t have time to join a group you can always grab some gloves, a trash bag and a little wagon and pick up your neighborhood with your family.
The bottom line is: giving back is important and there are so many ways in which we can help those around us. These are just a few of the hundreds of ways your family can give back to your community during the holiday season and year-round.
We’re giving back too! The Little Gym has teamed up with SeriousFun Children’s Network, a global community that provides camps and programs, free of charge, to kids with serious illnesses and their families. We have pledged to carry out global events to help support SeriousFun Children’s Network and all of the amazing work they do to help families each day and you can help too; click here to donate and help us reach our national goal of sending 20 kids to camp!