The weather’s hotter. The days are longer. The bugs are louder. Yep, it’s official. Summer’s on the way.
While everyone’s excited for the days by the pool, the cool lemonades on the patio, and the bonfires at the cottage, it’s inevitable that as soon as school gets out, you’ll be hearing that oh-so-common phrase; “I’m bored!”
There’s a way to prepare for this moment… Prepare things to keep your little ones busy! Summer brings so many opportunities to you and your family to get outside and enjoy the nice weather, so here are some great ideas to keep everybody busy in the warm months ahead.
Idea # 1: Pack for days at the beach or weekends at the cottage ahead of time for spontaneous getaways
· Have a “not-so-last-minute” checklist ready on the fridge to remind you that you can spend the day away from home with the family without forgetting the essentials
o Check out this already-made checklist to make things easier!
o Put the beach toys in a plastic bag or a giant bucket so you can easily grab and go when the time comes
o Pack away a couple of outfits for each person in your family, along with the necessary items like toothbrushes, shampoo, and bug spray in a suitcase, and make sure to go camping or to a cottage to take advantage of it by the end of the summer!
Idea # 2: Throw a neighbourhood party!
· All the kids in the neighbourhood will love this one, whether you’re in Vaughan or Kamloops… String together some fun obstacle courses and invite your children’s friends over to get active and share some laughs!
o Here’s some great pointers on how to set it up
· Have a scavenger hunt party! This can be done easily by making a list of some fun things like “3 ladybugs” or “a coin from before 1970” and making teams of little ones in the neighbourhood… the winners can have first pick from the popsicles as a cool-down after all the fun!
Idea # 3: Have everyone in your family teach each other a new sport
· Start this one off at the beginning of the summer and find new sports that nobody in your family knows how to play and record when each person is to teach everyone how to play it
· You can help your children learn these new sports by taking them to the library or searching online with them
· They’ll love teaching you about their new games, which are sure to bring many laughs from everybody!
o Check out these ideas for some funky new games to share with your family!
Idea # 4: Have a backyard movie theatre
· It’s as easy as 1-2-3! Tie a string between two trees or along a fence in your backyard and hang a sheet over it. Many places in your local area provide projector rentals for cheap costs… throw on a great summer flick and enjoy the movie outside with some homemade popcorn under the stars!
o Check out these top 20 summer movies of all time
Idea # 5: Swim, swim, swim!
· Whether it’s the ocean, the backyard pool, or a simple trip to Wasaga, getting your kids outside to enjoy the water has some great health benefits! Swimming provides your family with cardio and strengthening exercises as well as many more, and it’s a fun way to cool off at the same time!
· Make sure you have set rules and guidelines for a fun summer of swimming fun, it’s important that everybody understands water safety… Check out these guidelines for how to keep your summer swimming safe! (Say that 5 times fast!)
There you have it, 5 fun-filled ways to avoid those two words that pop up every summer. Lather on that sunscreen, throw on those hats, and head outdoors to enjoy the warm weather. There are so many different things you can do to keep busy, active, and healthy in the upcoming months and planning ahead will make it easier for you to have fun with the whole family!
I'm Morgan, a soon-to-be psychology and English literature graduate from Queen's University. I'm interested in all things social media, marketing, and deliciously scented candles. I love recommending things I adore to others. I've been told I'm a social butterfly. You can follow me on Twitter @MorganTodd_
Programs and Classes
Parties & More
Refer a Friend
Own a Gym
©2011 The Little Gym International, Inc
*Each The Little Gym is individually Owned and Operated