April showers bring May flowers… which is lucky for your garden and the bees, but not so lucky if you need to keep your kids entertained. If it’s raining and your day has shifted from fun to booorring, try one of these rainy day indoor activities for kids to keep them learning, moving and having fun - all without screens!
- Use your brain and your body with an indoor scavenger hunt. You can determine how easy or how hard the hunt is, how much time you want to kill, with how many items you have on the list and what fun add-ons you’ll tack on to the game.
- Recycle old those old mismatched socks and make sock puppets. Grab some old socks, stray buttons from those pants you don’t own, and other arts and crafts materials to create your very own puppet! Bonus: for extra fun, have a puppet show with the finished product and then watch the Muppets!
- Have an indoor picnic or tea party. This is a fun way to eat snacks and meals while stuck inside. You can bake or create some fun and healthy treats to go along with your tea party or picnic. Pinkies up!
- One of the ultimate indoor activities for kids, build an epic fort with pillows, blankets, chairs, and couch cushions from around the house. Grab books, LEGO® bricks, actions figures, dolls, or stuffed animals for hours of fort-fun! Check out these 9 creative indoor forts!
- Have a family fashion show. Raid the closets and find the classiest (or tackiest) dresses, suits, ties, and costumes to dress up in. Put on some tunes and walk down the cat walk. Equal parts glam and fun.
- Get the band back together! Make music using kitchen utensils like pots, pans, wooden spoons, plastic cups, rubber bands and make music. Play familiar tunes and sing along to the beat.
- Get the kids in the kitchen and whip up a batch of cloud dough. The kids will have fun making the concoction and playing with it!
- Write a letter to a friend or family member. A day stuck indoors is a perfect day to write a letter to a friend or a faraway family member that you are thinking of. Everyone loves getting mail, this is a perfect time to sit down and take the time to show that person some love!
- Have an indoor beach party. Put on your swim suits, grab some sunglasses, and lay down your beach towels and pretend you are lying in the sun! Have your kids take a warm bath in their swimsuits and goggles to take the fun to the next level.
- It’s the indoor games! Create an indoor obstacle course and pretend you’re at The Little Gym! Lay down cushions and have your child go around the house doing different kinds of obstacles. Just make sure they are doing their obstacles in a safe area!
Whatever the weather may be, these boredom-busting indoor activities for kids are sure to turn a rainy day into a memorable one. The sun will (hopefully) come out tomorrow!
If you’re looking for an indoor playground near you, kid-focused activities like The Little Gym can be another great option for busy families on those rainy days.